Saturday, July 16, 2011

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis



I started with a workshop with the legendary Alastair White from the battlefield band (to my far right) who taught us a march and a reel that were composed here on Lewis. I was stoked to get a chance to learn local tunes from a local legend right here on Lewis. The march works well on the harp, and while the reel is playable, it is not as harp friendly. There is a video excerpt from the reel and the class on an earlier post.
Here is a video of some girls dancing in the street at Stornoway.  Absolutely brilliant. It is also heartwarming to hear children speaking Gaelic to each other, not just older folks.
For my South Carolina Friends.
Still lovin the signs!
Sorry Jo,  I found another date for the festival, and she is a little taller than you.
Here are some more pictures from on site at the Hebridean Celtic Festival:
Moonrise in Stornoway

Fairies
Fashionable festival goers.

No comments:

Post a Comment