Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ballindalloch and Strathspey Via Huntley

Sleep depravation kicked in on the road from Stonehaven to Ballindalloch. I pulled over in the rain and was treated to a wind turbine nap. The next town was Huntley. I got a room at the Highlander Bunkhouse. Fortunately there was no one else in my room full of bunk beds. Cool sign.
I went next door to Cheers to use the wifi. Nobody knew my name. They were singing along to Bon Jovi songs on the jukebox. Quite different than the atmosphere at the last pub!


Huntley Castle
The Loo of the Year Award
Along the whiskey trail in the Strathspey region. I haven't actually done a distillery tour yet, but it is on my bucket list.
Spey
First tune destination, Ballindalloch Castle, to research and play "Over the Bows to Ballindalloch".
Nice Pad!
Mrs. Russell, Her family has been here since 1457.  The castle was built in 1546-one of the few homes (castles) that have been lived in continuously by the same family for 450 years. She was delighted to hear that I was here on a pilgrimage to play Over the Bows to Ballindalloch on the harp and told me all about the castle, the tune, and her job. She is the 24th generation of her family to live here, and being an only child she is the first lady laird.
Transcribed from our interview: "You asked about the music, Over the Bows to Ballindalloch, yes it did come from us. One of Queen Victoria's pipers came from Ballindalloch, and he was a great musician, but unfortunately Queen Victoria pinched him from us but one of the things he wrote was over the Bows to Ballindollach. When I was very honored to be asked by Her Majesty the Queen to dinner at Balmoral castle and she she specially played Over the Bows to Ballindalloch, which was wonderful."


Mrs Russell is an appointee of the Queen, her title is First Lady Lord Lieutenant  of the County. She looks after the royal family whenever they come to Banffshire. Upon our parting, she said "I hope you have a fantastic tour around Scotland and I hope our lives will meet again another time when you are coming to play in Scotland." Needless to say, I was moved by her class, charm, hospitality and enthusiasm.
After Ballindalloch, Being nearby, I stopped play the Glenlivet reel outside the Glenlivet distillery. It was late, they were closed and there wasn't a soul around-it was kind of eery. Freezing cold and getting eaten by midges-I plowed thru the tune a few times. I haven't looked at the footage yet, but it was not my most fluid playing. Sitting there breathing the fumes from the whiskey factory probably didn't help either. I've been told by a new friend since then that they call that "the angel's share". "But since I was there, why not crank out the tune a couple times, eh? If one of the cuts is even barely passable, I'll post it for just the novelty of it all.


 Next stop, the Genfield Hostel in Ullapool for a wee snooze before getting on the ferry out to Stornoway, Isle of Lewis (Outer Hebrides) for the Hebridean Celtic Festival. I'll be camping with a harp. There will be a bunch of traditional music workshops, and of course sessions sessions and more sessions! I am typing this on my laptop as I sit on the ferry for the 2 and 1/2 hour cruise to the Hebrides. I've been told they have wifi at the ferry terminal, so hopefully I can post this from there.

Here are a couple of pictures from the ride thru Strathspey on toward Ullapool in the highlands. Check out the moonrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment